KOAM is pleased to bring state-of-the art,
personal storm warning services to the Joplin-Pittsburg area.
Recent improvements in how the National Weather Service defines warning areas have resulted in significantly higher accuracy and smaller warned areas, compared to the decades-old county-wide warning method. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/sbwarnings
The WeatherCall® system continuously monitors the National Weather Service's NOAA weatherwire. Using computerized mapping (GIS) the system compares a subscriber's specific location to the location of the warning area. When a severe weather warning includes your location, you will receive a phone call from Chief Meteorologist, Doug Heady, 24 hours a day. You can also receive the warning by email with a detailed map of the threat or by SMS text messaging.
During the tragic and epic storms of May 22, 2011, the WeatherCall system delivered approximately 8,500 phone calls to KOAM subscribers within minutes of issuance by the National Weather Service. Many people have credited KOAM's WeatherCall as the warning system which delivered critical information in time for them to seek shelter.
Cherokee, KS, Jasper and Newton, MO Counties' combined 1,853 square miles are under a tornado warning.
The true warning area is actually 241 sq. miles, representing a 87% reduction in square miles.
INSIDE the red box
WeatherCall@Home works with ANY type of phone.
For iPhone or Android smart phone users, WeatherCall Mobile is available.
Choose the type of service which is best for you:
- Monitors your home or business' permanent location.
- Tornado, and/or severe thunderstorm warning calls (flash flood warnings are done via email or SMS text notifications only).
- ANY type of phone can be called - land lines, basic cell phones, or smart phones.
- $9.95 annual subscription per address for up to 3 phone #'s.
- Sign up can be done online, by mail, or calling a toll free messaging service.
- "Follows" your smart phone's current location, capable of updating once every minute.
- Tornado, and/or severe thunderstorm, & flash flood warning notifications + "all clear" delivered by phone call and/or SMS text.
- $11.95 annual subscription per smart phone for NWS warnings.
- Optional LIGHTNING notification for within 6 miles, + "all clear" messages.
- $11.95 annual subscription per smart phone for lightning notifications.
- Bundle NWS warnings + lightning notification for $17.95 annual subscription.